Search This Blog

Monday 30 April 2012

Snack Ideas your kids might just like too.....

Kale and Plantain Chips

My sister texted me and asked, " So what do you snack on at night?'
I told her I try not to snack, for the most part but if I did, Kale and Plantain chips!!
I was being facetious actually I'd never really tried them so I thought, hey give it a try!
I'm not the first to do this so it's not an original. Talk about easy and so tasty! I had my son be the taste tester and when I heard, "Wow Mom that is really good" I had to smile. A friend came over and tried them as did my husband and we all agree, a snack everyone would like. I will note that both recipes tasted the best fresh out of the over with a little sea salt on them:)



On a large cookie sheet tear pieces of washed and dried Kale into bite size pieces, drizzle a little olive oil and toss.
Cook in the oven at 375 for approximately 10-15 min, don't let the leaves burn, lightly browned is fine.
Remove and sprinkle with sea salt and serve.


I dusted off the mandolin to prepare the plantain. Peel the plantain as you would cucumber and  cut each end to even them out. Use the guard to guide the plantain, slicing thin slices. Gently place pieces in a bowl and toss with a bit of olive oil. I know friends that just spray the pan and pieces with Pam cooking spray instead so you are not getting all the oil if you prefer.

Arrange Plantain "chips" on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet in a single layer and bake at 375 for 30 min approximately turning once. Make sure the cuts are not too thick, they are not as tasty cooked. If you have two sheets going at the same time rotate them while cooking every 10 min from upper to lower racks.

And there you have it plantain chips.

Kale chips - I'll cook more next time!

My handsome some trying the plantain chips.

Yep he likes the Kale chips,
We hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment